W-2 and 1099 form information for 2022 year-end
It is time to order W-2’s and 1099’s for the 2022 calendar year. These forms are available from many sources, including your local office supply store, the IRS (irs.gov), and various online vendors. Any of these vendors can provide forms that will work well. Based on the information below, tell them which form types you need.
For your convenience, we are providing the form numbers from PTM Document Systems. Should you choose to order from them, call Robyn Cabrera at 707.576.6309. She will ask which software you are using. Please answer with “Civic Systems, Caselle.” Click here to view PTM’s price list or visit their online storefront.
There are two form types to choose from:
4-up form type
4-up laser W-2s contain all information for one employee on one sheet, including Copy B for Federal, Copy C for employee and two (2) copies of Copy 1 for State, City or Local Tax Department. You can order the pre-printed 4-ups (form number BW24UP05). Order enough sheets to have one for each employee. To print a copy for your files, simply reprint the W-2s on plain paper, or order employer’s File Copy D (form number BW24UPER05). Copy D prints two employees per sheet, so order enough sheets to have one for every two employees.
For Clarity and Connect customers, you can order the blank 4-ups if you prefer or you can print to plain paper. The system will print all lines and information.
- 4-up form perforated paper with blank front and preprinted instructions on back (form number 4UPPERFI05).
- 4-up form perforated paper with blank front and back (form number 4UPPERF05)
The following envelopes are compatible for the 4-up W-2s listed above:
- Double Window Envelopes Version 1 (form numbers 4UPDWENV05 for moisten-to-seal or 4UPDWENVS05 for self-seal)
2-up form type
2-up laser W-2s require three different forms for each employee:
- Federal Copy B (form number BW2EEB05)
- State/City Copy 2 (form number BW2EE205)
- Employee’s Copy C (form number BW2EEC05)
- Compatible envelopes for the 2-up W-2s: Double Window Envelopes (form numbers DWENV05 for moisten-to-seal or DWENVS05 for self-seal)
Depending on your locality, you may need an additional State/City Copy 2 for each employee. The sheets are perforated and print two separate employees’ W-2s per sheet. Order enough of each of these forms to have one sheet for every two employees. To print a copy for your files, simply reprint the W-2s on plain paper, or order employer’s File Copy D (form number BW2ERD05).
Electronic W-2 filing (EFW2)
W-2 Electronic filing is required for employers issuing 250 or more W-2s. If your municipality or utility does not electronically file with the Social Security Administration, an additional “2-up” form (form number BW2FED05) must be ordered. This form is red in color, and prints two separate employees’ W-2s per sheet. Order enough sheets to have one for every two employees. Depending on which state you are in, you may need an employer’s State/City Copy 1 (form number BW2ER105) as well. If you are unsure whether you have the Electronic W-2 module, please call Civic Support.
There are various types of 1099s, depending on the type of compensation you are reporting. The most common is the 1099-NEC, which is used to report compensation for services from unincorporated independent contractors (such as your attorney, auditor, or possibly repair, maintenance and other vendors). You may also need the 1099-MISC if you paid rent or the 1099-R if you have paid pensions to retired employees. If you refunded taxes or paid interest to individuals, you may need 1099-G, 1099-S or 1099-Int as well.
For 1099-NEC, you will need at least three different form types for each recipient type:
- Federal Copy A (form number NEC5110)
- Recipient Copy B (form number NEC5111)
- Payer Copy C (form number NEC5112)
- Compatible envelopes for 1099-NEC form numbers (form number 99DWENV05 for moisten-to-seal or 99DWENVS05 for self-seal)
Depending on which state you are in, you may also need an additional State Copy C (form number NEC5112). Each form type is perforated and prints three (3) separate vendors’ 1099s per sheet. Order enough sheets to have one for every three vendors.
For 1099-R, you will need at least four different form types for each retiree:
- Federal Copy A (form number BRFED05)
- Recipient’s Federal Copy B (form number BRB05)
- Recipient’s File Copy C (form number BRREC05)
- Payer Copy D or Copy 1 (form number BRPAY05)
- Compatible envelopes for 1099-R’s form numbers (form number RDWENV05 for moisten-to-seal or RDWENVS05 for self-seal)
If you withheld state tax on the payment, you may need an additional Recipient’s Copy 2 (form number BR205). Each form type is perforated and prints two separate recipients’ 1099s per sheet. Order enough sheets to have one for every two recipients.
Electronic 1099 filing
1099 Electronic filing is required for employers issuing 250 or more 1099s. Filing 1099s electronically is only available with Clarity and Connect. If you are unsure whether you have the Electronic 1099 module, please call Civic Support. In order to utilize this functionality, you must file for a Transmitter Control Code (TCC) with the IRS by submitting Form 4419 forty-five days prior to the due date of your returns.